IO-Link Smart Box
The Smart Box developed by Automation Revolution is a perfect show case for the implementation of IO-Link technology from ifm.
But first what is IO-Link?
In the past binary switches usually provided simple switching signals or analogue values. Today the data from intelligent sensors is the basis for the next industrial revolution. Sensors extract all the information from your machines and equipment using the key technology IO-Link.
IO-Link has been developed by leading sensor, actuator and control manufacturers. The result is a standardised and field-bus independent interface for automation. This provides the user with point-to-point connections without complex addressing.
The Smart Box from Automation Revolution represents the hardware system through which the IO-Link communication can be successfully performed. This system includes: 2 IO-Link master modules, 1 entry IO-Link module, 1 exit IO-Link module, HMI PLC, switch, safety switch and source.
Benefits of IO-Link:
Fast and easy set-up and service:
- Offline parameter setting of the sensors prior to installation.
- Automatic sensor detection online when using the IO-Link app on the AS-i/fieldbus gateway.
- Easy sensor replacement with automatic parameter setting by the master. Sensor identification included.High machine uptime:
- Avoidance of incorrect handling during operation by deactivating the operating keys on the sensor.
- Easy transmission of the measured values without conversion losses; values on the sensor display correspond to the values on the machine display.
- Highly interference immune - because digital - analogue value transmission in comparison with conventional analogue technology. And this uses an unscreened cable without special grounding.
- Machine diagnostics up to the sensor level functions without disrupting the operation.Less wiring saves installation costs:
- Several analogue signals and switch points can be transmitted using only one standard 3-wire cable. This reduces the number of terminals and makes space in the cable duct.
- Sensors and actuators, analogue or binary, can be connected via IO-Link ports. This replaces different input/output modules.Investment security:
- IO-Link has been internationally standardised to IEC 61131-9 and is therefore future-proof. The acceptance of all leading automation suppliers ensures investment security for OEMs and users. IO-Link is the interface to Industry 4.0.